Kathleen Black began teaching at Northwestern in 1981 and has taught a variety of courses in the English Department and in the field of English education.
- Chair, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies (2013-2017)
- Director of Eagle Scholars Honors Program (2001-present)
- Coordinator of Undergraduate Research (2012-2013)
- Director of Multidisciplinary Programs (2010-2013)
- Chair, Department of English and Literature (1985-l999)
- Coordinator, English Education (1988-1989)
Ph.D., English Education, University of Minnesota
M.A., English (Literature), University of Minnesota
B.S., English Education, Taylor University
- Ph.D. specialty is in the theory and pedagogy of argumentative writing.
- Other specialties are in corporate communication, technical writing, linguistics, and English grammar.
Major Professional Accomplishments
- What Bible Sentences Show Us. St. Paul: Kitelko, 2009.
- Teaching Practical Grammar. St. Paul: Kitelko, 2008.
- Guide for the Advancing Grammarian: An Exploration of English for Writers and Teachers. Second Edition, St. Paul: Kitelko, 2008.
- Guide for the Advancing Grammarian: An Exploration of English for Writers and Teachers. St. Paul: Kitelko, 2005.
- "Some Multidisciplinary Practices," Honors in Practice. Vol. 7. 2011.
- "Teaching Technical Writing to High School Students." Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts. Vol. 41, #2. Spring 2001.
- "How Students View their Writing: A Visual Representation of Literacy." Journal of Reading. Oct. 1991.
- "Audience Analysis and Persuasive Writing at the College Level." Research in the Teaching of English. October 1989.
- Outstanding Service Award, Northwestern College, 2009
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Northwestern College, 1993
- Finalist: Promising Researcher Award, 1988 National Council of Teachers of English
- Keynote Session: "Faculty/Student Collaboration: The Pluses and Possibilities" Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, 2013
- "Evaluating Student Writing" Faculty Workshop, 2012
- "Honors Colloquium: Being Both Global and Interdisciplinary" Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, May 2012
- "Don't Be Clueless" Address to new students, 2011
- "General Tips for Interviewing and Job Hunting," 2010
- "The Honors Program: Being Multidisciplinary and Integrative," Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, 2009
- "On Academic Advising," Faculty Workshop, 2009
- "Integrity and Tension: Honors Mission and Institutional Traditions in Faith-Oriented Institutions," NCHC National Conference, 2008
- "Hearts and Minds I and II: Honors Education in a Christian Context," participant, 2007, 2009
- "How am I Supposed to Grade THIS??: Strategies for Assessing Written Work," Faculty Workshop, 2008
- "Get a Life!" Chapel address, 2008
- "Raising the Bar: Can We Expect and Get More from Students?" Faculty Workshop, 2007
- "Interdisciplinary Innovation," Faculty Scholarship Symposium, May 2007
- "Looking Through a Lens of Literature at Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code," Faculty Scholarship Symposium, May 2006
- "Moving Toward Using English Syntactical Analysis for Bible Study," Faculty Scholarship Symposium, May 2004
- "Scoring College Writing for Interdisciplinary Assessment," 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- "Crafting a Successful Writing Assignment," Faculty Workshop, 2003
- "Parenting 101," 2000, 2001
- "Teaching Technical Writing to High School Students," National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), November 1999
- Two Workshops: "Teaching Writing" National Association of Christian Schools, 1997
- "Teaching Literature: Tensions and Challenges" (Consultant) National Council of Teachers of English, March 1995
- "Literature Response Journals: Public or Private?" National Council of Teachers of English, November 1994
- Presentation: "How to Write and Score Essay Exams," 1994
- "The Christian Teacher in the Secular Classroom" (Collaborative), National Council of Teachers of English, 1994
- "Technical Writing: Changing Styles and Attitudes," Conference on College Composition and Communication, March 1993
- "The Christian Woman at Work," 1992, 1993
- "Toward Teaching Sentence Skills Inductively and Informally," Minnesota Council of Teachers of English, 1992
- "Teaching Grammar in Grades 7”“12," Mounds View School District, 1992
- "College Students' Visual Presentation of Writing Processes: A Study," Conference on College Composition and Communication, 1991
- "Usage, Punctuation and Business Writing," Writing Seminar, Nov. 1991
- "Freshman Writing Processes: A Visual Examination," Minnesota Council of Teachers of English, May 1990
- "Writing Creatively Across the Curriculum," New Life Christian School, April 1989
- "Writing for a Real Audience: Implications for Empowering," Conference on College Composition and Communication, March 1989
- "Persuasiveness: A Real Audience's Perspective," Minnesota Council of Teachers of English, April 1988